Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Creole Vegetable Soup-dee-doop

Winter is almost over and I am going to miss soup weather.

To mourn the incoming heat, and the unbearable sweating that will ensue if I eat soup in said heat, here I will post a recipe for Creole Vegetable Soup.

Ingredients
(which can be adjusted as you please)

1 cup of split peas
3 large carrots
3 medium onions
1 large sweet potato
1 stalk celery with leaves
2 tablespoons of minced parsley
6 tablespoons of butter
2 quarts of water plus 1 cup
Pinch of cayenne pepper (I used way more)
2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup light cream (I used soy milk)
Croutons

Directions

1. Soak peas in water overnight and drain.

2. Peel and slice the vegetables, mince the celery and leaves, and place together in saucepan (there was so much, I used the soup pot) with parsley, butter, and 3/4 cup of water. Cook uncovered until the water evaporates.

3. Combine the cooked vegetables with the drained peas in the pot and add the rest of the water and seasonings to taste. Simmer for two hours.

4. When the concoction is done simmering, separate the vegetables from the broth using a strainer. Save the broth in a bowl.

5. Purée vegetables using a blender.

6. Combine the puréed vegetables and the broth in the kettle. Add the cream (or soy milk). Stir until completely mixed. At this point, I also added more cayenne to make it spicier.

7. Serve topped with croutons.


If you're not slurping it, you're not eating it right.

<3>

9 comments:

Roxanne said...

Um, yum!

Unknown said...

Yum! That soup looks delicious! I'll definitely have to try out your recipe :)

Found you via Club Indie! See you in class!

elycia said...

oh yumm, this looks like a good recipe!

The Evil Banana said...

oh wow, so amazing and cute. thanks for sharing

Danielle said...

oh yum! This looks delish :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that looks delicious!! I'm hungry for soup now...mmmmm...(:

rachel said...

mmmm, my mom makes something like that! deliciousss! your pictures make my stomach jealous.

Cory said...

Ooooo I love soup, gonna have to try this out. I'd probably put lentils in there too.

Sarah B said...

don't forget the many cold soups that can be enjoyed during warm weather :)