Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Girl, where'd you get your weave?

PROJECT: WEAVE BLACK SCARF FOR COLD (COLOR-COORDINATING) BOYFRIEND ON DIY CARDBOARD LOOM

RESULTS: POSED ON DECORATIVE TABLE NEXT TO VINTAGE PHOTO OF MOTHER AND AUNT AND FLOWERS TO GIVE THE IMPRESSION OF BEAUTY AND SUCCESS
(DRUM ROLL)
..........

I'd like to think that the scarf conjures up thoughts of beauty and success with or without the props. But, they are so lovely, are they not? Check out that baby blue polyester. Check out those 1970's collars. The twinkle in their eyes. My mother is the older and wiser one on the right. Interesting how this fact has remained true throughout their lives (my now long lost aunt was rather daft the last time we met). I do not feign familial love and connection.


Anyhow, anywho, anyway, it was my first go at weaving anything so I didn't create a picture tutorial throughout the process, as I was unsure if it would turn out the way I imagined. I didn't want to combine several small woven pieces of fabric so I warped the loom front and back to create one long piece of fabric. This was just a test. I did not read any tutorials about using this technique, but I did use this tutorial for the basics: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/2546/how-to-weave-on-a-cardboard-loom
Once I finished weaving, I crocheted the ends of the scarf closed and added tassels. Some sections of the weave could be tighter, but I am quite proud of how it turned out! Hoorah!

THE LOOM AFTER I FINISHED THE SCARF:

As you can see, I cut the slits off of one end to release the fabric from the loom when I finished. I must say, weaving around the edge of the loom was a pain in my ass, but I managed to keep my patience and perseverance in tact!

THE WARM (COLOR-COORDINATED) BOYFRIEND WITH WOVEN BLACK SCARF AND TRILBY HAT IN A BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO TAKEN TO GIVE THE AIR OF MYSTERY CHARACTERISTIC OF FILM NOIR:

"Here's lookin' at you, kid."

<3

No comments: